Gotcha! and Repost

Thanks everyone for your input and @Hans_Overduin for pointing out that it wasn’t quite straight. Here’s a straightened repost and I’ve eliminated the reflection of the head leaving just the subdued body.

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I went to one of my favorite wildlife refuges Wednesday for the first time since January and found this American Bittern along the same canal I’d found one then. I don’t see these often enough to ever pass one up, so I spent quite a bit of time with it and managed to catch a successful fishing sequence . I could wish it were after larger prey, but not much I can do about that.

Specific Feedback

I didn’t have quite the whole reflection in this image, so I decided to crop up and since the eye stood out in the reflection, I cropped just above it. Did that work?

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 503 mm, beanbag in car window, f/9, 1/500, iso 3200, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 5952x4230. Minor adjustments to emphasize the bird and it’s prey. Taken at 9:35 Wednesday under overcast skies.

2 Likes

This is really nice. The bittern stands out well against the foliage and the detail in the bittern is great. The crop is fine; I could also see cropping out the reflection entirely.

Hah! It looks like it has the same wish, but you takes what you gets. Excellent detail and color, with the bird well separated from the BG/environment. I could see doing without the reflection, too. It’s just a bit awkward and the Bittern is such a strong subject that any extras are hardly needed.

That’s a great catch, a Bittern as they tend to be rather elusive birds. Well done ! Leaving out the bottom makes for an intimate shot, which works well. Hard to tell, but I got the feeling it’s not 100% level, you could try to experiment a bit with that. Love the image ! Cheers, Hans

HI Dennis
This is one of the best American Bittern photographs I have seen. The lighting, green grass, feather detail and eye contact, are great.
Peter

One of my nemesis birds. I just can’t get close to these guys but wow, did you get a great shot of one. I don’t mind the reflection but I do think I prefer the repost ever so slightly. Very intent look with fine colors and feather detail. Great catch, Dennis.