The Strike

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A few frames earlier than my last post. I chose the last one to process first because it had the best view of the fish. You can just barely tell it’s there in this image, but I like the full extension of the striking pose.

Specific Feedback

Anything you can think of. I used a slight free form vignette from the TK9 panel to help subdue the reflection in this one. and straightened it based on the eye and its reflection. I also eliminated a couple of brighter items that I didn’t bother with in the first image. I’d personally prefer to have the bittern a bit higher in the frame, but I don’t have any more on the bottom and I think any of the fill options would botch it.

Technical Details

Sony A1 FE 200-600 +1.4 TC @ 503mm, beanbag on car window, f/9, 1/500, iso 3200, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Straightened and cropped to 5799x3559.

Very jealous of your captures of this intriguing species. The brown of the bird stands out well from the surroundings and the prey grab adds a lot of interest. Processing looks good to me. Well done.

1 Like

Great action shot and format. I also agree with @Allen_Sparks comments.

As nice as your previous image. Good timing on this one to get the action.

I don’t recall ever seeing an image of a Bittern with prey before. Well done! Processing looks spot on to me eye. Great catch both ways…you and the bird.

Hi Dennis
The Bittern’s eye contact, is the set, game and match of this photograph.
Peter

Excellent shot, Dennis, I love how it shows the typical hunting pose of this species. No nits from me! Cheers, Hans