From Goofball to Velociraptor

While not the top of the world’s food chain, Bitterns are predators. It didn’t take this one long to show that aspect of its character.

PS You must have the eye for these cryptically patterned birds, @David_Bostock. I only see them once every three or four trips.

PPS Sorry @_Kris. I don’t get enough of these to not post them when I do.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

As is almost always the case, this species is found with a very busy background. Does the predator come through?

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 @ 448 mm, hand held from car window, f/6.3, 1/1000, iso 2000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 7170x4780. Taken at 12:52 PM on January 20th.

1 Like

Ah Dennis, you definitely caught the predator behavior here. Well done. I love the hunting, slow moving, creeping along look. I think this is one of the best images of this behavior I’ve seen.

You’ve captured the Bittern in his/her native environment. They do blend it so well to the reeds and grasses along the water. A master of blending in.

To me the message is: I’m on the hunt. Be very very quiet. I’m hunting Voles or Bull Frogs…

Technically this perfect with spot on focus and exposure.

Asthetically, I love the comp but also wonder if including the water in the foreground helps or detracts. I can’t tell for sure. Either way, you nailed a winning shot here, Dennis.

Dear Dennis,

You are dead to me.

Regards,

Kris who has to live vicariously through other people’s Bittern photos

:laughing: :laughing:

1 Like

Hi Dennis, great catch of this stealthy bird - that camo is unreal. The stalking behavior of this bird is well displayed in this image. I appreciate a full view of this species as most looks I see are very much partial views so I think you did a good job with this. Picking out the bird from its surroundings is par for the course for this species I think.

You definitely caught the predatory behavior in a typical environment. Details look excellent. Every three to four trips??? I feel fortunate to see one every three to four years. And nice to have it out in the open and not partially hdden.