American Bittern & revision of artsy version

Conventional Processing:

Artsy background and merging:

Artsy Version Revised based on @Diane_Miller input

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was looking at this year’s images and went back to January when a buddy and I had a long session with this bittern at a local wildlife refuge and I decided to process another frame. The background, as is typical for this species is very busy and I had this whacky abstract I’d made of part of the body plumage distorted in PS and decided to try blending the two images. The result is, of course, the second image.

Specific Feedback

I’m curious to know if anyone finds the second image appealing? And any other feedback on either image is welcome.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 @ 448 mm, hand held from car window, f/6.3, 1/1000, iso 2000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Both images taken on January 20th, 2023.

This one brings back memories, Dennis. One very rare vagrant landed in S-W Ireland when I was there a few years ago. I’d left it too late when I visited the location and never saw it! So it’s nice to see it now in the excellent first shot. I think a bird like this needs to be shown in its busy environment and the pose and leg action are beautifully caught. I’ll leave it to others to comment on the second shot - it’s certainly experimental.

I definitely find it appealing – much more so than the first one! I think it’s wonderful and love the source of the artsy overlaid file.

I wonder about carefully removing the texture file from the head, with a gradient down the neck, just to get the head to stand out a bit more. But camouflage is also a great story.

Hi Dennis, I like both images. The first one for the stalking pose in typical habitat for a bittern. I like the second one for the uniqueness and artsy look.

Hi Dennis
Congrats, on getting a clean photograph of this Bittern. Great eye contact, color and feather detail. The second post, displayed the result of most of my photographs of an American Bittern. Keep having fun.
Peter

1 Like

I love the new version – the additional lighter areas balances the somewhat light area in the LRC, and its head is now above water!

This may be the coolest texture overlay I’ve ever seen – both for its appealing appearance and for the creativity that went into thinking of it and making it!

Hi Dennis, the first image is really well done. Maybe a bit documentary, but still a great one to add to the portfolio.

I can’t get my head around the second one…that’s just me, I know. It has an interesting psychedelic feel to it. I think something between the first version and the second one might work…the head is a bit too starkly outside of the swirl…maybe a blend where it’s emerging…just a thought.

Cheers,
David