Flying Bittern

Great Bitterns are highly secretive birds, and you hardly ever see them. Sometimes they fly by, but the launch themselves from the reeds usually quite by surprise (would be easier should they give a signal). They’re not very fast flyers though, so this morning I was lucky and reacted quickly enough to capture it. Thanks for any comments, Cheers, Hans

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D500 with 500mm | 1/1000s | f5 | ISO320 | underexposed 1/3EV | handheld
Please not that my camera settings were not prepared for flight shots, otherwise I would have opted for a slightly higher shutter speed…

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Excellent, Hans. I’ve only seen them flying a couple of times here and they were far too distant to even think about a shot. I think it was courting season at the time. This angle gives a nice view of both the underwing and overwing plumage, which I like. Great background.

Really nice. I don’t think I have ever seen a flight shot of a bittern and good for you to be so fast. Pose is about as good as you can get with both wings shown . That is just really impressive that you got this flight shot. From my experience they burst out of wherever they are and are gone leaving a nice view of tail feathers.

Superb job on this image. Very difficult to find no less take one flying. Although I have seen bitterns at our local wildlife refuge, they have not been there for at least 10 years, at least with my experience. And when you do find one, they’re typically hiding in the brush. Always nice to have a cooperative bird. I really like the contrast between the tan plumage and the green background. Well done!

My nemesis. I have almost no good images of this bird. You are so right that they are secretive and well hidden so getting a good flight shot is really about being in the right place at the right time and being ready which you were. Great wings down position and a pretty good background to go with it. It must have been really close to the background reeds for them not to be out of focus at f/5. Not much you can do about that. Really, really good capture Hans.

Pretty awesome. I’ve heard these guys but never seen one. Bird looks good and sharp, and I like the wings down position. The BG has some texture, which, in this instance, adds. Hard to pull that off. My only (small) nit is that I prefer the bird’s head to be angled slightly more towards you.

Thanks @Dennis_Plank, @David_Leroy, @David_Schoen, @David_Haynes and @Lyle_Gruby for your kind comments!
@Lyle_Gruby: I have been wondering about that as well, but it’s the strange way the head is shaped and the placement of the eyes that makes the bird seem to look away. I have more shots of this species in flight and I always have the seem feeling (also with Little Bittern in flight). Just Google for instance “Great Bittern in Flight” and you’ll see the same in almost all shots. Weird isn’t it? Maybe someone with more knowledge about this species can either confirm or debunk my theory :wink:

I agree that the position of the beak appears to be pretty close to parallel with you. And the eye seems like it could looking in any number of directions! I’m definitely not an authority.

1 Like

Terrific Hans - very nice catch of a tough to get species. Love the flight pose and the textured background with this elusive bird. No nits from me.

I am with @Lyle_Gruby instinctively about the head turn but honestly it’s very hard to get better than this. I have never even seen this guy standing in a clean environment for goodness sake. Awesome work here, Hans!