Among the Knees

This is a Great Blue Heron in its white phase. Standing on top a a cypress knee beside the pond in my backyard. It may be hot in Florida but it has its perks.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? composition dodging and burning whatever.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Nikon D5 w/300 f2.8 1/500 F.8 ISO 500 handheld. Lightroom only

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.

I love the setting and the position of the bird, Kelly. It would have saved me a ton of effort to have that in my back yard. The light on the bird is a little harsh. If it likes that perch, I think Iā€™d spend some time when the light is a little more favorable, though i do like the way the light plays on the Cypress knees.

Totally agree with Dennis. I live in Florida as well. Odds are it will be on those knees often. I like the environment shot, probably more than I would have a closeup.

The water birds around my pond are usually wading. This is the first time we have ever seen one on the knees. Actually seeing him there is what prompted me to take my camera out to take the photograph, My wife was looking out the bedroom window and told me to grab my camera. Iā€™ll keep a lookout in the futureā€¦ I am very fortunate to live here. I have a enough photos from my yard to fill a book. If you look back though my posts you would find the majority of wildlife and flora photos are from my yard.

1 Like

Hi Kelly
You gays down south have great back ground and co-optative birds. Not fair. This photograph is what a Great Blue Heron in a cypress pond should look like. Nice work.
Peter

The cypress knees, the perched Heron make for a really fine composition to my eye. I actually like the lighting on the bird the way it ā€œmodelsā€ the birdā€™s shape. If this were mine, Iā€™d think ā€œwall hangerā€. Really. Killer shot.