Great Blue Heron in cypress swamp

Image:

Description:

Seen on a visit to a cypress swamp in northwest Tennessee. Taken from a pontoon boat.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 90D, Sigma 150-600 C
ISO 1250, f5.6, 1/800s, hand held from boat

4 Likes

Love the knees and the light! Fabulous pose, too. Surprised you were this low in a pontoon boat. The bg is nicely out of focus and I think the square crop serves the subject. That spray of feathers is so nice to see. These guys are just so great.

Oh Allen, this needs some wall space! I love the lighting and the composition. The cypress knees make such a good perch, and the way he is looking off into the “empty space” seems to fill that for me. The echo of the cypress roots and the greens in the water all just balances this image for me. Wonderful details in the subject too. The low angle from the boat really helped. This is really, really nit picking, because if this was my image I would think that it is perfect as is, but that tiny little branches in the very bottom right corner and the right side of the frame, do you think if you cropped in just a tiny bit to remove them that would improve this even more? Just a thought. I’m enjoying it as is.

1 Like

A wonderful setting for this heron, Allen. The light, pose and background all work together perfectly in this image.

This is sensational. The lighting, the placement of the Heron in the frame, and the environment are all perfect.

@Kris_Smith @Dennis_Plank @David_Bostock @Shirley_Freeman
Thank you for the comments!

Shirley, I think trying to crop more from the right would bring the heron too close to the edge of the image and throw off the balance. Plus, I like the details of the cypress knees and leaves seen in the foreground both being echoed in the background blur of both. Thanks for the suggestion though.

1 Like