An Exciting Sighting! & repost

Recrop…

Description: On my way home one morning I caught sight of 3 gray foxes playing in a field. When I stopped 2 ran further away but this one sat and watched me. At one point he/she sniffed the air, I guess to find out about me and then got up and walked closer and I was so sad that when I was downloading the pictures the full body shots and closer ones got deleted! I hope for another chance!

Specific Feedback Requested: Anything, I know it’s probably not the best but it was exciting for me to be so close…

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Nikon D3400, 1/640, f/6.3, 300mm, ISO 1600, cropped and sharpened

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Congratulations on such a great encounter. This is a lovely portrait. The sharpness is there, but the surroundings are softer and inviting. You could probably crop some of the foreground since it’s so OOF and bright.

1 Like

What a great find, Vanessa. She couldn’t have posed for you more beautifully. I agree with Kris you could crop some of that bright foreground and make the photo a bit more pleasing, but it’s a terrific capture, anyway! Congrats!

1 Like

Sweet portrait, Vanessa. Lucky you to have been able to capture this little fellow. I agree about a bit of cropping from the bottom. Nicely done.

1 Like

Thanks @Kris_Smith @terryb @terryb for looking and your feedback, here’s the suggested crop, does it look better?…

4 Likes

Hi Vanessa, the crop definitely “grounds” the fox better. It feels well balanced. Excellent catch.

1 Like

Thanks for looking and your feedback @David_Bostock! I hope to see them again!

A very nice chance and this is a good save. But about the deletions – when you download are you using some sort of cloud stuff?? – does it automatically delete what is on your card before you’re sure it got properly saved? I think you’re using LR Mobile? I don’t know anything about it but there should be a way to fix that.

1 Like

If you use LR mobile your images will automatically show up in your desktop through iCloud (if you use iPhone/iPad and Mac that is)

1 Like

Thank you @Diane_Miller and @jaapv for your comments on my deletion! You’re so sweet! To make a long story short, if I had been watching the download the whole time it could have totally been prevented! Probably because my iPad is getting older it can’t just take in so many pictures at once, it seems to stop and then I have to start over again and choose the ones that haven’t gone in yet. That’s what I get for having too many pictures on my SD card! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: