And the line went dead

Some years ago I got wind that a defunct mini-golf park in Bedford, NH was going to be razed for a grocery store. I had a few fond memories of going there with my highschool buddies, but it had long since been abandoned. So I went to see what I could see and in the cafe was basically chaos and destruction. This is one of my favorite shots from that day.

Specific Feedback Requested

It’s low light and low color so I thought B&W would serve, but maybe other ideas?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Handheld

Lr for b&w conversion (preset #10) and a little crop. Also adjusted exposure and white and black points. Added texture and clarity. A radial filter to bring up shadows and exposure at the talking end of the phone. That’s about it.

@the.wire.smith

Oh geez, this is wonderful. I love the B&W treatment and the broken glass around the disconnected phone. This is quite perfect as is…I could also see a version cropped from the left up to just before the cord. So cool.

If anyone cares to know that is a handset and coil cord off a 2254 touch tone wall telephone. The rotary dial version was a 254. Take it from me, usually one drop of that handset on a hard surface and the printed circuit on the inside would crack. Sometimes you could solder the cracked track and make it work again… :cowboy_hat_face:
BTW: a neat photo with the piece of history you’ve added here, Kris.

Totally cool!! I love the gradient from darker in the LL to brighter in the UR. The coil is perfect!

With all my bitching about computer issues, I’ll take today – thanks!

Thanks @David_Bostock, @Paul_Breitkreuz & @Diane_Miller - after getting it into the computer I knew B&W was the way to go. The handset, the 2254 (did you work as a phone tech, Paul?), is actually black. I thought about moving those big pieces of glass, but decided to leave them since I didn’t have any gloves with me.

1 Like

Kris, I worked 35 years in the PBX-EPBX-DPBX phone systems industry. We worked in direct competition to the regulated operating companies like Ma Bell. I was both a hands on tech and also many years in management. … :phone: