Angel Mist Loch Achray

Warm autumnal sunlight spreads across the surface of Loch Achray in The Trossachs, in Scotland causing the freezing surface of the near frozen Loch to exceed its dew point and boil off Angels mist. I used a long lens to compress perspective and chose the optimum moment for mist density and sunlight to hit some trees and not others on the tree clad slope beyond.

Pentax 67II, 300mm lens, unfiltered, f/22 at 1/4 Second, Fuji velvia.

Great image Ian. I love the contrast from light to dark and your processing looks spot on and very natural. Nothing really to improve on that I can see, great job.

Beautiful light, color and mood.

You nailed it Ian with your choice of lenses and timing. I’m a fan of mist in the first place, and your work with the scene helps emphasize that point.

Ian,

Stunningly beautiful! The glow in the trees along with the mist and reflection… just doesn’t get any better than this.

I could see a square crop of the right half, but then again wouldn’t want to lose the length of the mist rising from the lake.

Makes me envious for not being there!

Lon

Ian, This is really a beautiful autumn image. Wonderful light and color with some great reflections. I like it a lot just as it is!

Wow! This is stunning. The light is sublime and I love how you have composed the scene. The soft glow from the mist is icing on the cake.

Beautiful shot. Nailed it. Getting picky, though: I assume you deliberately left a group of trees in the top left background brightly lit with a golden light. After my eye being pulled into the golden mist, trees, and reflection in the foreground, an extra treat is being pulled towards the lit up tree tops and then that cluster of golden trees in the distance. But then it is pulled slightly towards the lit up tree tops just behind and to the left. I pulled down a ND gradient to darken the upper part. It might be too dark for your tastes

Looks pretty good as well Rick

That’s beautiful Ian; what a magnificent glow.

Great photo. I think the little sliver of bright trees in the upper left helps balance the brighter light of the trees on the right side.