Emergence

Loch Achilt, Contin, Scotland

This was a stunning morning, very still, and chilly but the sun had risen and it immediately started to boil off the surface of the loch and within a minute or two the birch island complete with its golden gown became invisible. We duly hung around and the mist continued to lift eventually revealing the vague outline of the island and its golden birch with the backdrop of scots pine just barely visible. This was my defining moment. Imagine my surprise when a second or two later the peace and tranquility was shattered by a person swimming by. It was 6.30am

Pentax 67II, 300mm lens, 1/30 second, f5.6. Fuji Velvia 50.

4 Likes

I love the simplicity and sense of mystery in this shot. No nits from me

Excellent image Ian. Very ethereal and beautiful simplicity.

Great shot…bright and high key with just enough shadow in the pines. Do you think it could work as a 4:5 crop landscape? The negative space at the top is fairly prominent, but may be part of your desired mood/feel. …doing a scrolling crop was more to my liking, but that’s my preference. Certainly not a critique, but personal preference.

The golden birch amidst the cool, blue fog is perfect. And a swimmer! :astonished:

Ian, I’m all abiut this image. Its really great. Only cc, like @Jim_McGovern said, is I feel there i quite a lot of negative space at the top that doesn’t add to the image. Personally I would consider equal amounts of space either side of the tree

Nice work

Eugene

Love this. I can see a 4x5 horizontal as well. Ethereal is a good word for this.

A super image, Ian. I have no criticisms. I love your vision to see this and capture it. Wonderful!

Did you get any other images worthy of sharing that morning? I’d like to see what else you dreamed up.

What beautiful light and conditions. You were rewarded. This is so soft and surreal, I just love it. I wonder about a crop off the top to make this more landscape than square. I could stare at this all day long. What an image Ian. I would print this one up and enjoy it every day!!!

I agree, and mystical comes to mind as well.

I love the use of negative space in this image. Making the tree small in the composition adds the the mystical, ethereal feeling of this scene. It makes me wonder what is hidden behind that fog.

Absolutely gorgeous minimalist image. Well composed and processed. I love shots like this. This belongs in a portfolio and a gallery.

Gorgeous conditions with just that touch of amazing light and color in a sea of fog! I can’t imagine going for a swim there at 6:30 am, I would be photographing too :wink:
I’m with the suggested crop from the top.