Mist Over Eribol

Loch Eribol, Sutherland, Scotland

Waiting for twilight to fall over Loch Eribol on this particular late Spring evening was quite magical in fact it was unexpectedly good as we were really hoping for a bit of colour to permeate the evening sky. Instead we got mist and mystery and mood and stillness all wrapped up together and I adore that as the resulting pictures scream atmosphere. I hope this resonates with you in its sombre blue grey gown as it does so readily for me.

Pentax 67II, 90-180 zoom, f/8 at 1/2 Second, unfiltered, Fuji Velvia 50.

Such a calm peaceful scene. The fog muting the mountains in the back is great and of course the small sail boat in the foreground is the icing on the cake. Very nice. I think the image works as presented but I could also see a version with crop from the top of a bit less than 1/2 the sky.

Such a beautiful image, love the misty muted colors. I also think it would be more impactful photo with balanced crop of the sky.

I agree. This is such a serene scene, Ian. I really enjoy the muted color here and the mist in the landscape behind it. The boat anchors the scene really well. It does resonate with me really well.

I love the simplicity of this image. Just a study of shades of blue … and then that tiny sailboat. Just exquisite.

This is beautiful, Ian. I would not crop it at all, it works beautifully for me as presented. Wonderful dreamy mood.

Ian, this is really quite peaceful and the blue grey colors are presented beautifully. The boat provides a wonderful balance despite it’s tiny size.
Wonderful work!

What a beautiful scene. As someone who is endeavoring to embrace “silence” among the tyranny of noise in our culture, this is a shot to which I am very drawn. The boat is quite prominent in the scene, and I wonder whether lowering contrast/increasing shadows (of the boat) would help balance the scene a little to my eye. As for the crop/sky, the dominance of the sky with its subtle texture helps to create a sense of quiet expanse. However, a 2:3 crop (personally) favors a sense of calm the image portrays. Great image…thanks for sharing!

Beautiful, Ian. The nearly monochromatic look works beautifully to simplify. Excellent framing as-is. I’m in the no crop camp.

I think such a crop could work very well here.

I like the contrast between the boat and the surrounding scene. This scene is veiled in mystery and intrigue…oh wait, I got a little over dramatic there! :grinning:

Nicely done!

Sweet shot, Ian. My vote would be against any crop for this image. While a crop would “work”, I don’t think the image would express the same message or feeling. As is, this kind of screams “we are so insignificant” in relation to nature and I think it succeeds wildly at at, and I think a crop would diminish that feeling considerably.