Anna on the last day of March

Taken today under windy and partially cloudy conditions. Was probably a foot away from my feeder. Seemed to be contentedly checking out the neighborhood and practicing social distancing.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso 12,800, 100-400+1.4 extender at 560 mm, F9, 1600, fill flash at +2, 60% of full frame or approximately 40 megapixels, tripod, minimal processing other than noise reduction and sharpening at 5%

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

This IQ is really impressive for ISO 12,800. These modern cameras are truly a marvel. Everything looks good to me–nice wing position, i like the varied BG, nice feather detail, you even have a little hint of toenails coming peeking out. My only critiques are that the crop is a little boxy (personal pref.), and there appears to be a faint halo beginning at the base of the beak and going up the bird’s head a little ways. Maybe those are individual feathers, and my eyes are playing tricks on me, though. Been a long day.

Hi David, nice flying pose and I like the colors. I’m fine with the crop. I see the faint halo above the head that Lyle mentions - would be an easy fix to remove. Really nice quality at that ISO. Nice capture.

That is amazing detail at that ISO. It was not that long ago that 800 ISO was a no no. Very well done focusing with the eye very sharp. I also see that bit of halo. I am fine with crop also. Inspirational. I better get out there.

Superb detail and an amazing lack of noise, David. Makes me wish I had a spare 3 grand lying around to pick up one of those cameras. Though it’s interesting that we seem to attribute all the high iso advances to the camera. I’ve been going through some old images lately taken with a 7D and even a 40D. Admittedly, I tended to be fairly conservative on iso settings back then, but my noise reduction software is giving very low noise ratings for those old images-not that different from what I’d get with a modern camera at that iso. Of course, that doesn’t say what they’d do at high iso’s. It’s probably not linear.

Neat image, that came out well with the settings you used. No things I can think of for improvement. Wonder what the flash attributed to the lack of noise with this high ISO, but I’m not a techie :wink: … Cheers, Hans