Another migrant

Scroll crop revealed an improvement -

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

My favorites are truly only mine. This one is special because it was my first time with these wee wonders - Ruby Crowned Kinglets. They neither breed nor over-winter in Wisconsin, but only pass through to their preferred environs. But in the mean time, they find a snack or two in my very small yard. I watched a couple of males flitter through the branches of the trees well before leaf-out (early May) and so I set up on top of the garden wall to wait. I have about 1/2 dozen good shots and this one is the cleanest in terms of branches and I love the pose and detail, and of course, that ruby crown. It was my 2nd year in a row shooting rare migrants in my yard and I hope it is only the start of a wonderful trend.

Specific Feedback

Processing ideas welcome.

Technical Details

Handheld

Lr for some wb adjustment as well as adding some exposure and the usual S-curve for contrast. Some cropping, texture and sharpening added. Denoise AI action and then into Photoshop for some distraction removal.

1 Like

What a cutie, and I like the splash on the crown. Little birds seem to be a pretty challenging subject. It sounds like you’ve set yourself a personal project or a scavenger hunt. :smiley: Nice separation of subject and background!

Yes, that ruby crown is the icing on the cake. It’s on my bucket list. I’ve only seen it once but didn’t get a camera on it. Beautiful

Thanks @karlag & @Mark_Muller - they are such adorable little balls of fluff! Tiny like chickadees and constantly moving, gleaning food off branches which I think are insects or insect eggs. I’ve seen them on a trail nearby, but they were much harder to see and isolate than in the yard. We’ll see what turns up in the spring!

Kris, what a nice find. He looks like he is very tiny, and as @karlag the small ones can be hard to capture. I do love that little splash of color. Not familiar with this breed. Nice details captured in him. The scroll crop helped to improve an already nice image.

Wow! What a cutie with wonderful pose and BG! They are sometimes rumored to be around here but I have never seen one. Perfect piece of art! Keep up the watch!

A nice exciting look at the Kinglet with its crown raised. It’s a winter-over migrant in So Cal and have only seen it a few times, and never a camera image.

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman, @Diane_Miller & @Stephen_Stanton - these guys are mind-bendingly cute and acrobatic as heck! So hard to follow and find in the branches, but I managed it even with my old G9 -

Am planning to buy the G9II in the near future and hope the updated focusing will help me get more keepers.

Another good one, Kris. Wonderful details and lovely BG. Little birds are fast, and this one looks small and sounds fast. Wishing you the best on your new camera purchase when you get it.

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman - I had a nice session with the two in the yard. They are super quick and teeny, but oh such a delight to be with. Maybe next year a female will come through - they look the same except for the red bit on the head.

Am looking forward to the new camera, but don’t need it at the moment because my winter (such as it is this year) photography isn’t as rigorous or demanding. And I bounce back and forth with photography and making jewelry, which means I have to take photos of everything anyway, but it’s different.

1 Like

The scroll crop is definitely the ticket for me Kris. They certainly are cute and good luck with the new camera purchase when the time is right.

Thanks @Ed_Lowe - don’t know why I didn’t crop it in the first place. :laughing: