Ruby-crowned Kinglet

I visited the pond David Schoen’s been shooting at this morning and while the ducks were no where near as cooperative as his last visit and the clouds refused to lift I did spot this little kinglet foraging in the bare bushes not too far from where I was set up. It ended up coming within range for my standards and actually stopping for a quick burst.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony A7Riv, FE200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, hand held, f/9, 1/320, iso 800 (not sure how that one happened, I’d been at 3200 just a bit earlier but it was getting lighter over the pond and I’d just been shooting a male Bufflehead), manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 5700x4476. Cloned a couple of items here and there in the background and did a bit of burning.

2 Likes

Looks really nice, Dennis. Good details on the little guy and a nice perch with the moss and multi-colored leaves. Good environmental shot. Waiting for our migrants to start arriving. Shouldn’t be long, now.

Good look at the Kinglet Dennis. Pretty impressive getting the small bird spot on focus at 840mm hh and 1/320. I might brighten bird up a bit.

Very nice look at the kinglet. Hard to get these guys to hold still. The background color works well with the kinglet and I like the colors of the leaves.

Great little bird. They are very active and getting one in a nice place long enough to compose and get the shot is pretty tough.

Feels pretty dark to me. I look at this in PS, just added a Levels adjustment layer and pulled the white slider all the way to 170.

Excellent detail. I am enjoying the pose and colors, including the post by Keith. But when viewed large in a darker room, you original post is fine. I saw a few of these but they were always in the heavy brush and I could never get a clear shot.

Very sweet bird with a really cute pose! Love the pretty bg color as well, it looks really nice with the bird.

Thanks, @Keith_Bauer. This is an interesting interpretation. This was taken in forest under overcast conditions and I tend to present such images fairly dark, but your version is certainly more eye catching.