Ruby-Crowned Kinglet

Image Description

A small bird that rarely stays in one spot for more than a second. This one landed on a branch close to me and stayed for more than a second.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I like the first one as the perch is in better focus and the overall shot seems more balanced. I like the second one as more of the bird is visible, but I’m not happy with the lichen behind it-I tried to tame the lichen’s luminosity, but found it difficult to do much more than what you see. I do like the complementary background. Thoughts?

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 at 500 mm; both at 1/1000, f7.1; ISO 3200

3 Likes

Oh the frustrations!! So often the shot with the best pose has a BG that isn’t ideal. I think the first one has wonderful balance and I can’t offer any ideas for improvement, but I love the pose in the second one. It feels like it would be hard-to-impossible to darken that bright batch of lichen enough to make it darker than the bird. But the bird is so cute in both – I’d be happy to have captured either one!

1 Like

Very nice frames @Allen_Brooks . I prefer the first one with such a nice pose and the juxtaposition of the bird/lichen. Tack sharp, pleasing complimentary color palette with every element. :grinning: :grinning:

1 Like

Both terrific shots, Allen but I’m partial to #2 simply because we get a better overall view of the bird. The lichen doesn’t really bother me in that shot and I like the bird perched out on that little branch.

1 Like

Lovely shots! I agree with the other commentators…and cannot really decide. I wonder about a different aspect ratio (e.g. square or 4:5) for the second shot as I am distracted by the empty space on the branches more than the lichen…just a thought.

1 Like

Hi Allen
Nice work, in the second shot the Ruby-Crowned Kinglet looks so well fead, I wonder how it can fly.
I like the framing in the first photo and both posting show good color, feather detail and eye contact.
Peter

1 Like

Allen, I am very partial to the first image, all in focus and well balanced in shapes and color. I like the panorama presentation, and wiry the legs and feet.

1 Like

My head just exploded from cute.

That is all.

1 Like

Sweet photo–it captures the character of the ruby-crowned kinglet quite well…Jim

1 Like

Fantastic images, both of them although I prefer the first one. Love colours and the setting is simply great ! Cheers, Hans

1 Like

How did I miss this cutie??? Great shot of this little guy, Allen. Nice and sharp too. Congratulations on EP.

1 Like

What a cute little bird. Very nicely captured, I especially like the first post. Well done!

Grt, Ingrid.

1 Like