Another Western Tanager

Description:

Another Male Western Tanager from the mountains near my home. This male kept coming into various branches and settled on this one for about 30 seconds. I captured numerous frames and liked this pose and the morning light. I’ve desaturated the colors on this and they are still vivid, but this particular male was just stunning.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? No

Olympus EM1-X
300mm f/4 with 1.4x TC
1/2000, f/5.6, ISO 1600
75% of full frame
Handheld

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

keithcbauer

What a stunning bird, and in lovely light! You have a very nice pose and wonderful detail in the focal plane. I don’t mind the focus falloff on the bird but I find it a bit distracting on the perch. The darker ends do help minimize attention to it, though. The perch is very nice and if it is part of a setup it might be good if it could be placed more in the focal plane, but that might limit getting more of a side view of the birds. Frustrating.

I love the colors and amount of detail in the BG!

The perch isn’t a setup. It is in a national forest and it is what it is. So goes the life of doing nature photography.

A gorgeous bird, Keith. It really stands out against the green background and the angle of the light makes the face glow.

He is gorgeous, for sure, Keith. I don’t think I have ever seen one of these, probably because it is a western bird, and I live in the east. That head turn he gave you really made the shot even better. I like the perch, and how it comes into the frame diagonally. The nice smooth background makes all of it stand out nicely. This deserves some wall space.

My apologies for assuming it was a setup! The gorgeous BG led me to think that. It is even more wonderful for being stalked and captured in the wild!

1 Like