Ant Eater

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

The other day I noticed a male Northern Flicker on the ground in our backyard working over an ant hill. It was so distracted that it allowed me to get fairly close without bolting like they usually do. It was an overcast day so the lighting was not ideal but I felt fortunate to have gotten some shots of it. Fingers crossed to get a good shot of one in flight showing off its magnificent wing and tail feathers. D500, Nikon 2-500 lens, 1.4 TC, 1/1000th, f 8.0, 700mm, ISO 4000, hand held, AI Clear

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Great head turn and nice detail, Dave. I might lighten up the face just a bit to draw more attention to it.

I critiqued Dennis’ s Flicker shot first, but my comments on Dennis’s shot would be the same here. Nice capture.

Nice capture of this shy species. I like the colors, pose and composition as presented. But I find this a little dark. A little brightening will help this stand out even better.