Flicker Drink

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Any pertinent technical details: I hardly ever see this handsome male Northern Flicker on our property, and when I do, it is very skittish. This guy actually let me get it focused and shot before it bolted this time. It was in the middle of the afternoon sun, and there’s no glint on its eye because of the sun’s angle but I have to say that I like it anyway because it’s so rare for me to get a shot of one. D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, 1/1000th, f 8.0, 700mm, ISO 4000, hand held, AI Clear, cropped to 3465 x 2566

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Hi, Dave.

Flickers are frustratingly difficult to photograph, but you have done yourself proud. Good detail and colors. A fine capture all the way around.

Best,
Terry

Terry-
Agree big time on Flickers being a hard subject to shoot. My goal is to get a nice action shot of one displaying its great wing and tail feathers but I think I am dreaming…

1 Like

Very nice, Dave. I can identify. These birds are very skittish. The only half-way cooperative one I’ve seen recently came to our bird bath for a drink yesterday, but unfortunately, I was talking with someone at the time and couldn’t just grab the camera. Even in my blind, the motion needed to zoom out for such a large bird usually spooks them off. Detail looks very good and the background is fairly clean, though the specular highlights around the tail seem to draw my eye.