Flashing Flicker

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Here’s a shot I got of a male Northern Flicker taking off from our birdbath that I was anticipating. It was so quick the only shot I managed was this one as it was leaving the upper left corner of the frame. I cropped the right, and lower edges. I know that this breaks some rules but I really liked the pose and exposition of its great wing and tail feathers. I think it’s worth keeping. You? D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, hand held, 1/1600th, f 8.0, 200mm, ISO 200, AI Clear, cropped to 2191 x 1640.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Hi Dave
This just shows us we are here for the ride, the birds are in charge. I know the feeling, you set up and wait on the take off and puff the bird is gone. Yes I believe the photograph is worth keeping. The action, color and detail are vary nice.
Peter

Pretty hard to throw away all that color, detail and dynamic take off. I would keep it for sure. Nice angle you got on the light.

Hi Dave, I love the patterns on these Flickers and this shot shows them quite well. Would have been nice to have more room around the bird but this shot has merit to show the underside markings.

Wonderful sharpness and detail! Definitely a keeper, even if a little unusual. It was a very difficult capture done well even if a split second late.

I’m sure I’d keep it Dave, cursing all the while that I didn’t hit that shutter a fraction earlier, but definitely one to keep.