Anticipation

Great Sand Dunes NP

Sony A77
Sony 70-400G @ 330mm
ISO 200, 1/1000 @ f8
I never make New Year’s resolutions but I have been doing some catalog cleanup. My wife and I are planning a trip to Colorado this summer and one of our stops will be at GSDNP, one of my favorite places on the planet, This is an image from a few years ago that I never posted but has me anticipating our upcoming visit. All comments welcome.>=))>

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Been there once and it’s freakin rad. Good shot and have fun there!

aF

I also love shooting at GSDNP! Everything looks unreal! Your shot is beautiful. It looks abstract, almost like a macro of a mushroom. The color is really nice. Bravo!

Great looking dune abstract. It is a nice mind bender.

Hey Bill, I feel like you’ve got two different types of image in one here, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but it does somewhat confuse the eye and feel a bit busy.
The ‘flat’ two dimensional, textural shapes and lines on the two dunes in the foreground and the soft light and shadows of the scene behind that suggests depth and dimension. Everything said, I do like the image and I think its unique and interesting, great job.

1 Like

Why didn’t you post this before? Its shapes and textures are wonderful and the varying colors intensify its impact. What does GSD stand for. Never been.

Patricia: I posted a number of shots from that particular trip but somehow overlooked this one. GSD is Great Sand Dunes NP in southeast Colorado.>=))>

This is really good. In addition to the great light and comp, everything is constantly dynamic. Somehow these dunes manage to turn inside-out and then back again. Great effect.

Hi Bill,
Yes, the Sand Dunes are pretty magical. Lots of compositional opportunities. In this case, the monochromatic composition appeals to me, but I’m not a fan of the monotone values throughout. I would prefer some editing of light values to vary the expression of the dune layers.
I also think compositionally the undulating line created by the rear dune crest is not as smooth as I would prefer and detracts from the image’s simplicity.
Thanks for the opportunity to comment.

Bill, a great image and real mind bender. When I first pulled it up I almost thought it was upside down, perhaps because I just commented on your recent Mt. Rainier Ice Cloud post :grinning:

While this does work for me as presented, I sort of agree with @Matt_Lancaster, the rear dune crest detracts from the simplicity and abstract feeling in the rest of the image. I would consider a crop just below where the top dune does a 90 degree turn, I think this would put a more abstract spin on this image.

2 Likes

Great lines and shapes, Bill, lots of “movement” in this image, I like it!

Bill, GSD is a favorite Colorado location for me as well. One thing I like is that playing with post processing one can interpret the dunes in lots of different ways, and depending on light and cloud conditions the variations are practically limitless.

Bill,

Love the layering and the rich color and tones. Fabulous dune image. Great job isolating with the long lens.

Only suggestion would be to burn down the bright streak of sand in the upper left. But that’s minor.

Lon