Arctic Tern in-flight

with embeded color profile

An image from last June in Iceland. Those are golden grasses in the background. I find this is one of the more difficult birds to photograph well because of the contrast between the dark and light plumage. The eye of the bird is not in a great location to bring out detail.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
ISO 2000, 400+1.4 X, F5 .6, 1600th, cloudy

3 Likes

It’s a beautiful in-flight image. I really like the soft golden backgeound. Yes, getting their dark eyes to stand out from the black head color is a challenge. Sometimes it’s only the glint of sun in the eyes that makes them stand out. A beautiful image.

David: This is a fine image. The wing position is great and the open beak really adds to the action in the image. Background is so nice.

PS. This image does not have an embedded color profile so other viewers are likely to see unpredictable colors.

Nice image, David. I like the soft background. And nice catch of the action.

Hi David! This is a beautiful capture. The golden grasses make for an excellent background. You’ve done a great job bringing out the details of this difficult subject. As David said, I really like the action you’ve captured. Nice job!

I added the embedded color profile. Not sure I can see much difference

Agreed. but for consistency across all computing platforms and browsers, the only way to get a consistent view for all viewers is to embed the sRGB color profile.

Hi David,

The first one has slightly better color than the second on my monitor. The differences are very subtle. A wonderful pose-- I like the image as presented with the sRGB embedded profile added for universal viewing. Awesome…Jim

Hello, David, this is fun: looking at the thumb I already thought “Iceland” - must have been the unconscious combination of species, BG color and light. Wonderful pose, very nicely captured. Well done ! Cheers, Hans