Ash-throated Flycatcher

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Had to crop down to 25% to show the bird. Just a big tree otherwise.
Walking around the neighborhood and saw this pair working different areas. Usually are much farther away. Sorry I didn’t carry a bigger lens so I wouldn’t have had to crop so much.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Kind of stuck with the background and am not sure if I should try to tone it down or just accept that that is the natural environment.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)Canon 7D ll, Tamron 18-270, 270mm, 1/2000sec, ISO 1600, F/11, spot focus.
LR CC, PS, Topaz sharpen AI. I did remove a small branch that was across the chest in PS.
All comments welcome.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi Charlie,

Beautiful bird, one that I haven’t seen in a while. As you reference, there a few a few issues. The image quality would be better if you’d been closer and/or had a bigger lens. There’d be a better connection between the viewer and the bird if the bird had turned its head a bit towards us. Light looks a little harsh, and you have some hot whites. Don’t think there’s much to do about the background. Tech-wise, I’d suggest shooting at a much wider aperture and lower ISO. F/11 isn’t doing much for you at this focal length and distance to the bird.

Lyle has pretty much covered most of the issues here with this attractive flycatcher. And yes you need to get closer and have a narrower depth of field. There are some image quality issues with some chromatic aberration, some blue cast and some smearing which looks as if it was caused by Topaz De noise AI.

Thanks. I am working on finding that sweet spot for the aperture . I did tone down the whites and it loos better. I will be more careful with Topaz. I do recognize that it has some drawbacks, also can be very effective.

Overall, I’d say this was a nice look at the flycatcher. One thought would be to see if more eye detail could be brought up.

I tried to work on the eye but, his head is tilted and shadows the eye. If only he had looked up when I took the picture. Thanks for the feedback.