Great Crested Flycatcher

If there is a better exposure for this image.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Overall composition and if there is too much green in the image.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
This was an experiment on my part trying out my Sigma 150-600mm C on the Canon M50 body. Monopod was used. Exposure was 1/640 @ F-10 ISO 1000.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi John,

If this is a cropped version, more space would be beneficial. I think that you handled the bright highlights very well. One of my favorite flycatchers and you must be a very patient person to wait for one of these birds to drop down from the canopy…Jim

Hi John. I think I would have shot it a bit darker and brought the darker areas up to avoid what look like blown whites, but They’re not bad and there are tricks you could use to tame them should you be so inclined (steal a little texture and tint from the rest of the breast).

A really nice shot of the flycatcher. I like the nice soft colors. I like the idea of a bit more room also and a good idea about borrowing a bit of material to blend over the bright breast area. For your camera settings I think you might have increased the shutter opening to f/5.6 and dropped ISO and maybe raised SS a bit. You would give up a bit of dof for less noise and help freeze any bit of movement. It is a really nice composition.