Aspens and Ferns

Ran into this patch of ferns carpeting these aspens. Attracted by the interplay of gold, green and white.

Specific Feedback Requested

all welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
70mm f/8 1/6sec iso 100

2 Likes

I like this. I agree the white trunks among the green ferns is really dynamic. Nice placement of the trees too…real sense of depth.

A fantastic little scene. The square crop works for me although I’d like to have a more even placement of the sunlight, what can you do? You could do some masking on the colors and boost the exposure in the rest of the yellow undergrowth. Tree arrangement and separation looks deliberate, but also quite natural. Well of course it was, but it still feels disorganized, but also well composed. Did that make any sense? Lol. The bracken (I think it’s bracken) looks so rich and soft. Great texture there. Contrasts nicely with the smooth trunks.

Thank you @David_Bostock @Kris_Smith . Kris, I had actually lowered the luminescence of the orange/yellow in original. Below is rework with an increase.

I really like this shot, the composition is quite pleasing and I love the colours.

One thing that I would experiment with would be to darken down bright spots around the edges - specifically the top left corner and the highlight on the fern on very edge on the right edge near the tree trunk, and maybe slightly increase the luminescence of the tree trunks themselves.

I do like the suggestions Tom. Rework 3 below, much stronger with a little lum to trees and bringing down a couple of those highlights.

1 Like

Mario, I love this because your composition makes this into two images for me: 1) Trees surrounded by ferns, and 2) Ferns surrounded by trees. It is like one of those graphics where you can see two things. Anyway, I love this image.

1 Like

I prefer it somewhere between the the two re-works. The ferns look pretty great, but the brighter tree trunks forced.

I like this composition a lot - the parallel lines of the trees which bring this solid feeling to the ferns which are like a bed of yellow - really nice composition!
Cheers
Amy

Mario, I like your rework #3 which reflects the comments from @Tom_Nevesely. For incremental tweaks to Rework #3, I would suggest further burning down the aspen on the right, and gently dodging the aspen in the center, to bring more attention into the center.

Shooting forest scenes in dappled light like this can often be difficult to pull off, but I think you have done a good job dealing with it here. The composition works really well too, which also helps the image significantly…

@Mark_Muller @amy10 @Kris_Smith @Ed_McGuirk thank for your comments. Ed, rework with a few tweaks.

1 Like

I like the rework here Mario, I think the luminosity is more balanced.

Looks awesome Mario!

Great idea thinking of this - square crop works well. To me the story is the birches amongst the ferns - the brighter ferns along the periphery seem to draw my attention more than they probably should - just my 2 cents towards this well thought of scene