Assasian Bug On A Limb

I found this Assasian Bug on the Wisteria bush last week just before the bush bloomed out. I like how the limb above him frames him in at about the angle his body is positioned.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything that might improve the image.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
I shot this with my Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 100 mm f2.8L macro lens, KX-800 twin flash and diffuser, HH, at manual settings f16, 1/90, ISO 200. Edited in LR (with slight crop) and Topaz AI Clear.

1 Like

Shirley, the bug looks great, with lots of fine detail and compared to its perch, it’s also well camouflaged. It’s an excellent find. Given the width of its lower rear leg, I wonder if this isn’t some kind of leaf footed bug, like the one Jim Z. ID’ed for me last summer, shown here.

Mark, I believe you are right. I went back to what I had called another one similar to this, that was in my archives, and I do believe I remember Jim Z telling me it was a leaf footed bug. I didn’t go look online to ID it, just found what I called one similar before that I have in my archives. The lazy woman’s way of IDing it!!! Thank you for the ID, and for your kind comments.

Shirley, so glad @Mark_Seaver Mark was able to do the ID. I think we have some of those around here also, so now at least I’ll know what they are. I like the composition with both the limb below and stem above creating a natural framing. Also the OOF purplish background sets the leaf footed bug off very nicely. Great find and very nicely captured.

1 Like

Indeed, leaf footed bugs bear a superficial resemblance to assassin bugs. Details look good and this one provided a nice subject for this image. Well done…Jim

1 Like