Astral Web

A dew-laden spider’s web, taken early with bushes in the background.

Specific Feedback Requested

I use B and W very rarely, so wanted to experiment with this, especially as I thought the drops might benefit.The original was very bland in colour, so once in PS I converted to B and W (adjusting the colour sliders). I then tried the Negative adjustment in Curves, which gave a more dramatic look, especially for the framing branch. The bushes also looked like sky. Lastly, I adjusted Brightness and Contrast.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D 500 + 105mm macro 1/4000 f20 ISO 11,200

I like this a lot, the water drops are just great. In my opinion the b&w rendering works very well here.

I like it, but judging by the processing I think you want us to look at the grass not the web or the droplets. You could do some burning there and maybe play with the color sliders to see if you can get the luminosity down for what is probably the yellow or green value. The web strands themselves on the other hand, appear too dark to me especially at the bottom - it looks like droplets of ink suspended not water. Definitely has the bones of something interesting, but it’s not working for me like this. :slightly_frowning_face:

Love the B/W processing, Mike. The image has a bit of an abstract surreal feel to it… . which, at least for me, helps me just enjoy the shapes and textures without labeling the parts. Very nicely seen.

Very interesting idea, and I agree about the “sky”! @Kris_Smith has some good ideas and this one is well worth playing with a bit more. Before inverting maybe there is more detail in the stem, and a way to mitigate the halo?

Thanks for the feedback @Kris_Smith and @Diane_Miller . I brought out more stem detail. I want you to look more at the droplets rather than the BG, Kris, but still agree that the BG could be adjusted. Below is a compromise between BG and web which I made. I think I still prefer the original, however, warts and all!