At Peace in the Pond #2

An old cow moose with her young calf, relaxing and feeding in a small pond at the base of Thompson Pass, Alaska. You can tell this cow has had a very rough life based on her huge scars (including a hole in her leg that looks like a wolf or bear tried to hamstring her.) The almost white hair shows her age but she seemed to be in surprisingly good shape and healthy enough to fend for her offspring. They were both very relaxed and comfortable so I got a lot of shots but I particularly liked this one where the calf had its tongue out.

Sony a6500, FE100400GM @ 400mm, ISO-400, f/5.6, 1/1250, hand held.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Great capture, Gary. I am no moose expert, but that appears to be a really grizzled old cow but, as you said, healthy. I like the calf’s tongue out, too. Good choice for this weekly challenge.

A fine shot, Gary. Thanks for adding the background, especially the gray hair bit, which is new to me. The tongue sticking out on one side and dripping water on the other are both fine extras.