Atmosphere

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
This image was taken on a foggy morning along Canyonlands in Moab, Utah using an iPhone XS.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi Izzy, this looks like quite an amazing place but unfortunately I’m not a big fan of the photo.

To me it lacks depth. When shooting scenes like this I feel that being closer to the edge and looking down will bring mpre impact to the shot. It will add depth and flow through the scene. I feel that the foreground is cut off rather than having a strong subject to draw your eye and lead you in. The braches you have used in the fore are cut by the edge of the frame and thus disconnected from the rest o fthe image. If you were to take this shot againI would consider taking a few steps forward and tilt your camera downwards while framing the edge of the cliff for your foreground. You may even find some intersting plants or branches to add to it.

Apologies if this is the look you were trtying to achieve, but the image comes accross as being over processed and also a quite dark. I suspect you have used some kind of radial filter or brush on the clouds as they seem to be standing out disproportionately to the rest of the image. You can see in the cloud omn the left that the shadows/darks in the background have also been raised compared to the rest of the darks around it. Some of the other local dodging effects are a little overdone for me and don’t tend to tie in with the luminosity values in the rest of the scene.

I made a slight curves adjsument to the shadows and also made a crop that I thoight would better suite the image. The crop removes some of the highlights in the sky as well as the distracting branches in the foreground.

Apologies again for coming accross in a way that may seem harsh, but I am just saying it as I see it as things to consider.

1 Like

Thank you Eugene. Points well taken. I appreciate your comments and suggestions and agree.

1 Like