Autumn Chippy + RePost

Thank you @Kris_Smith --I uploaded a darker version with reworked eye to take out some of the flash’s impact.

Description:

Eastern chipmunks are highly territorial little rodents. They often perch and call out and warn other chipmunks to stay out of their area as this one was doing yesterday morning. A patch of sunlight caught my eye as this chipmunk was chipping away. Overall, I thought that this picture depicts the autumn season quite well.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

D850 200-400mm f4 set at 400mm (1/320 sec at f5.6, ISO 1250, fill flash set at -2ev). Slight crop, Topaz DeNoise, Levels, slight curve adjustment and some highlight reduction on OOF whiskers…Jim
Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Nicely done. I love backlight, but it looks like you used flash so maybe reduce the exposure on the critter just a bit? They are loud and insistent little things aren’t they? Sometimes they’re so daft you can practically step on them. Amusing little creatures.

1 Like

The rework looks more natural. Backlighting is tough.

1 Like

Cool capture, second one looks better, as the crop eliminates some distractions.

1 Like

Hi Jim
Of the two chipmunk photos I like the first better. I guest just the overall brightness and breathing room the chipmunk has in the framing.
Peter

1 Like