Autumn leaves 5

During an afternoon near the Svaneholm castle in Skåne, Sweden, I took a number of autumn leaves photos. This drop in the swamp is the 5th one. The wave propagated due to a drop falling into the swamp made the center part sharp and the rest somewhat blurred.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Should I have placed the “circle” away from the center to crop the large yellow leaf at the upper right?

It is an interesting phenomenon.

I quite like it. Nice to look at something different once in awhile. My opinion is the leaf draws my eye up there. Maybe if it was counterbalanced by one in the LLC?

This image is quite surreal looking. I’m not sure whats reflection, and whats out-of-focus leaves. It really got me thinking about what I am looking at. I love the color palette here, the browns, yellows and blues make for a striking combination. I think exploiting the contrast of sharp vs. soft is an interesting concept.

From your comment I assume you want the sharp circle to be the primary place the viewer looks. If so, then the large yellow leaf in the upper right corner (URC) is a distraction for me, it’s big, bright, and near the frame edge. This gives it a lot visual weight, and it competes with the sharp circle for the viewers attention.

I actually like having the sharp circle in the center of the image, it just feels right being there. Rather than recomposing it, I would consider darkening the yellow leaves at the top. And if your ethics allow for it, I might suggest trying to clone away part or all of the leaf in the URC. Tactics like this will help bring attention back to the center. Here is a rework where I have illustrated these points, and you can judge for yourself if the suggestions help or not.

Ola, this is an excellent catch of the ripple action. I think your comp. is perfect as it strongly emphasizes the circle of unrippled water. If you want to emphasize that a bit more, some gentle burning in of the yellow leaves at the top would help, but this looks great as presented.

@Igor_Doncov, @Michael_Lowe, @Ed_McGuirk and @Mark_Seaver thank you for your kind comments. To darkening the yellow leave URC make the image much better!
Best Regards,
Ola