Leaves at the edge #2

This is another image from my September vacation in Härjedalen, Sweden. Here I wanted to in the upper third capture the reflection of the trees from which the leaves in the lower part have come. I also wanted to have a contrast between the smooth reflection at the top with the more rugged rock surface in the lower two-thirds of the image. The first image in this mini series is here:

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments are welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
f/16, 1/20, ISO 200, Olympus pancake lens 14-41 at 14 mm (28 mm eqjuiv.), travel camera Olympus Pen E-P7, handheld

5 Likes

Ola, really like this image. To me the bottom 2/3 makes this image ie. no reflection. The streaks of water really add a nice texture as well.

You have certainly captured one of the most beautiful aspects of fall. The image you posted under Macro is also a fine image. In fact, I think I might prefer it to this one due to it’s greater richness in subject matter. I do think you made a good choice in SS as the water retains that clear see-thru look that ice often has. Yet the streaks tell you it’s water. I wonder if adding a bit of brightness would help or make things worse. I do like the warped look those tree reflections contain.

This is lovely! The mix of gold / brown / blue is a very nice touch, and the textures of the falling water keeps me looking a long time. While I enjoy the reflections, I think I would be even more intrigued by a shot with the camera aimed a bit lower, with just a bit of the smooth water above the dropoff.

1 Like

I love the “captured” leaves in this one Ola. Perfect. I can’t think of any suggestions for improvement. Well done.

I very much like this one, Ola. Wouldn’t change a thing.

A very wonderful image. I love that you kept the bubble.

I have no suggestions, Ola. The reflection is wonderful and the SS choice looks perfect for my tastes. The fallen autumn leaves clinging to the rock face are absolutely fantastic.

@Mario_Cornacchione, @David_Bostock, @Chris_Calohan, @Igor_Doncov, @Diane_Miller, @Jim_Gavin and @Ed_Lowe thanks for your kind comments.

I will try to make an additional image excluding the reflection. I think that that will also work.

I am glad you noticed that, it was very much deliberate.

Ola, this is a really unique take on “fallen” leaves. The leaves are almost like prisoners of the waterfall, only to be released when their time is up. This is a very intriguing image as a result of the story of these leaves.

@Ed_McGuirk, glad that you liked the image.