Autumn Medley

Autumn 2020 Photo Project - taken 10/18/20 in Weston, Massachusetts

A foggy October morning in the forest. The rainy, misty conditions made the colors pop on this maple tree. I liked that there were still some green leaves remaining on this tree. It helped to provide a little contrast against the warm yellow and orange colors.

It was so foggy that in post processing I had to apply more than some LR de-haze to restore detail in the leaves. This shifted the colors somewhat, and I had to adjust color to offset the shift. Do the colors and saturation here look okay ? I been working on this one for a while, and need an objective opinion.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any critique or comments are welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D MKIV, Canon 70-200mm f4 lens, at 200 mm, ISO 400 1/6 sec at f11

Rework with no de-haze

Rework #2 with even less dehaze

It is always a balance between to empasize the mysterious mood that the fog gives, and to reveal the very nice autumn colors. The balance is a matter of personal taste. I think you have made a very good choice, but have you also tested to make it a little bit more mysterious?

I love the foggy autumn look here, as opposed to the in-your-face colors of a clear day. The colors and saturation feel fine to me, although I have no experience with eastern hardwood forests. What does the original, more foggy version look like? It sounds like it could be very impressionistic.

Looks really nicely dreamy. Funny, I was thinking exactly like @Bonnie_Lampley and was wondering what the version without the dehaze looks like.

@Ola_Jovall @Harley_Goldman @Bonnie_Lampley thank you for your comments

I bow to the collective wisdom of NPN. As requested, I have posted 2 reworks back up top with varying degrees of less de-daze on the raw file. What’s the verdict ?

I find them reasonably close, but prefer the one without dehaze. It is not as dramatic (probably not the right term) but has more of a good dreamy look for me. Can’t go wrong with either.

The first image has a good balance between fog and detail. You get the best of both worlds. The fog is there yet the beauty of the tree is well displayed. If I were to emphasize the fogI would go all the way and use image number 3. For some reason I really like the color of the ‘hole’ in bottom center left. It’s both green and blue.

I love the subject and the misty conditions captured in this photo. I also really enjoy seeing the transition of the tree’s leaves changing color from green to red and gold.

It is a very close call between the original image and the images without dehaze. But I am a huge fan of foggy woodland photos, so I will have to say I prefer the re-worked image without the dehaze. Aside from the dehaze, I feel all three images still retain the same mood and feeling of mystery, just on different levels.

Put me down for the rework #2.

Rework #2 works for me, although all are lovely. This is clearly a matter of taste - to each his own!

I am drawn to image 2 because I like impressionism and the haze provides that for me. The palate is very appealing to me as well.

As said by others, all three works very well, but #2 is my favorite

The battle is real :grinning:

Since three is not enough to make your brain freeze trying to keep them all separate, you might play with a non-global change. Once in awhile I find an image is appealing if I dehaze (I usually use high radius, low amount sharpening, but it’s the same effect) the darker areas, but not the lighter. Here’s a quick and dirty edit to compare:

Ed, to me your first image was the best. less dehaze made it more flat. Again an image as this one has a lot of possibilities . So I could not resist to give it a rework.
I used your “even less dehazed image”. And dehazed the yellow leaves with gives more depth in my eyes. I let the background as is. Maybe a solution?

@Ben_van_der_Sande @Ola_Jovall @John_Williams @Mario_Cornacchione
thank you for your comments . As @Bonnie_Lampley points out this is a matter of personal taste. After spending some time living with the versions, I prefer image #2, essentially because it is in between, sort of the best of both worlds. But I do like what John suggested about adding dehaze to just the darks, that is a technique worth playing with, it is an interesting spin.

2 Likes