Orange Grove

Autumn 2020 photo project - taken 10/09/20 in the Quabbin Region Massachusetts

This is what passes for a grove of orange trees in Massachusetts :grin:

On this cold, crisp morning the fog was particularly heavy on the waters of the Quabbin Reservoir. This was my pre-sunrise shot taken before my prior post ā€œChanneling Autumnā€. I liked how the orange maple tree on the left seemed to be reaching out through the fog to itā€™s sister tree on the other side of the inlet.

In the raw file the fog was much heavier, and I had to apply significant LR dehaze to restore some detail on the opposite shore. This was as far as I dared push the de-haze, it was already starting to make the orange and green colors wonky, which I had to de-saturate. Does this level of fog vs. detail work for everyone ? I have also provided an alternate version with less de-haze. Which do you prefer?

Specific Feedback Requested

Any critique or comment is welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D MKIV, Canon 70-200mm f4 lens, plus 1.4 teleconverter. at 280 mm, ISO 400, 1/5 sec at f13

As Presented with More De-haze

Alternate Version with Less De-haze

2 Likes

Beautiful, Ed. I much prefer the alternative with less dehaze, as I find I like the increased sense of mystery and suspense in the image. No nits, quite liking this one.

Ed,My choice should be for the more de- hazed. Itā€™s more in balance, while the other is a bit busy to my eyes.

I prefer the image with less dehazeā€¦Iā€™d be tempted to subtly burn the reflected water in the lower R. corner as itā€™s brightness distinct from the rest of the water distracts my eye a bit. Thatā€™s itā€¦a tremendous image you were blessed to be able to witness/capture.

Ed,
I toggled back and forth a couple of times trying to decide which one I liked better and I do prefer the second version with less de-haze. For me it has more of a sense of mood and mystery that I find appealing. It is as though the colorful maple decked out in it.s autumn splendor is not quite ready to revel itself to us and will do so when the time is right. My only suggestion would be to concur with @Jim_McGovern about the LRC. Minor stuff though as this is gorgeous.

This is a really difficult choice. I can like one and then switch my thinking and like the other. You canā€™t go wrong with either one. I think I like the foggier one more. There is a lot of darkness in the ulc of the less foggy image that, if dodged could switch my preference.

The difference in De-Haze is subtle, and probably only noticeable when the images are presented side-by-side. I donā€™t think it makes any real difference in terms of the overall meaning and feel of the image, so it just depends in your own personal aesthetic. I personally love fogginess, so the more the merrierā€¦

@Ben_van_der_Sande @Harley_Goldman @Igor_Doncov @Michael_Schertzberg @Ed_Lowe @Jim_McGovern

Thank you all for your thoughts and comments on my image. I know the difference between the two versions is subtle, and that ultimately itā€™s also a subjective choice. But I had been struggling with the processing of this very dense fog for a while now. So I thought why not seek out some other viewpoints from the very capable group here at NPN. Iā€™m just going to sit back and see what the consensus is. The point about darkening the LRC is helpful, and only comes out in the comparison.

Lovely! I prefer the foggier version for its greater mystery, but one could go either way, as Igor said. As far as burning the LRC, Iā€™d say it would be better to lighten or increase ease the haze on the LLC up to about the bottom of the tree trunks, to balance it out more.

Ed,
Late to the show, but I prefer the foggier version. I like that the additional fog brightens the scene just a touch.

@Bonnie_Lampley @Alan_Kreyger thank you for your comments

Iā€™ve seen enough comments in favor of the foggier, less de-hazed image to run with that as my final version. Bonnie, I think you are onto something with dodging the LLC, rather than burning the LRC. It seems to fit better with the foggier approach. Here is a rework with that reflected.