Back of Painted Hills

In this re-post, I think I have applied lesson learned overnight on “Assign Profile” vs “Convert to Profile”

This morning light on Painted Hills and the interplay of flowers, trees, hills, footprints, and lines caught my fancy that morning. I processed it with the intent of allowing the eye to follow many routes through the elements.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any and all appreciated.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Major questions in my mind 1- too many elements? 2- adequately unified or disjointed?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Focus stacked 3 exposures, lots of processing in PS.

This re-post results from learning some lessons overnight on Convert to Profile vs Assign Profile
Less warm for @Adhika_Lie and less dark for @Tony_Siciliano but yellows and reds not as muddy as before, as noted by @Igor_Doncov

Original post

Diagonals work really well in your composition Dick. I think they tie everything together. The light and color are wonderful. I don’t think there are too many elements.

1 Like

I don’t think they are disjointed, Dick. I might consider it a little bit too warm for my taste but subjective taste aside, the composition, the tonality, and the idea work. However, I do find the tracks on the right hand side of the image distracting.

Thank you Adhika.
Yeah … The antelope carelessly disregard the signs about staying off the hills.
Personally, I am attached to them, but realize they are a bit disjointed from the other elements, other than participating in a sense of place.

Good composition. The foreground slope gives depth and distance. The contrast between the slope with growth versus the dry back gives this an aspect the others lack.

I agree about the dominating yellows. They just seem oppressive. I like the fact that there is a color cast to the image, but the dark yellows just crush the plant life. The previous images were abstract where you had greater freedom with color management. Here, not so.

Thanks … I will work this over a bit

Doesn’t seem disjointed to me. The composition is very compelling with the multiple diagonals running into another diagonal, and the color and contrast is stunning. My only nit: for my taste it is a tad too dark, could use some lightening.

I agree with the others comments. I think the image works well and the colors work well together. I also do find the tracks distracting . If it were my image I might be tempted to clone them out. Just my personal taste.

I’m coming in late here, but wow this is such an unique image of the Painted Hills. I love that you took this in the direction of an intimate landscape, yet you were still able to make the warm light and colors shine. I don’t think I’ve ever seen any images of the Painted Hills with trees like this, it makes for a very unique image.

The tracks don’t bother me at all. But I could see either burning them down or cloning if you wanted to place more emphasis on the trees, it’s a creative choice that works either way for me.
Dick, I much prefer the processing of the rework, good decision to go in that direction. The image has more vitality as a result.

I think the composition works well as presented, it has nice depth. The zig zag of the diagonals between the hills and the foreground ridge is very powerful, it pulls my eye right into those trees. While I think this comp works very well, I think there is a second image here too, one where you crop the flowers away, and makes the image even more about the trees. Not better than yours, just another workable composition.

I like it a lot as per your original, great feeling of scale with the compressed perspective.

Composition is just fantastic, and achieves the goal of intimate landscapes of distilling the whole scene into a simple set of shapes and color. You get an immediate feel for everything you saw. Tones and colors of the second version are spot on as well. If I were to try anything at all, it might be to push the greens slightly towards yellow in the HSL panel, there is so much warmth in the image already the few sprigs of ‘green’ tend to snag my eye for just a moment - especially right up front. That said, it’s a wonderfully successful image just the way it is.