Back yard apricot

I brought this branch inside to play with different ways to capture the beautiful fruit. Just laying the branch on a black surface gave be a view of the apricot with the diagonal of the branch.

Specific Feedback Requested

I am interested in thoughts about composition and anything else.

Technical Details

Olympus OMD Mark II, ISO 200 , 28mm, f/5.0, 1/8 sec

1 Like

This is so interesting Ann Louise! The arc of the branch sweeps nicely and I love the texture of the leaves and branch. I never knew they had red stems. Nice contrast with the smooth fruit. It feels like it needs more highlights somewhere…maybe more like what is happening on the edge of the apricot, but I don’t know how flexible your lighting set up is. Very creative. And please, tell me you ate the apricot!

Kristen,
Thank you for your interesting comments. Lighting is still new for me and I can see what you mean. This is something I will be aware of in the future. Yes, we ate the apricot…and the 10 others on our small tree! They were perfect. I will try to photograph the branch again next year.

1 Like

I understand your intention is bringing the branch inside for the artistry of it and think you have done an excellent job of accomplishing your intent. I am, however, so accustomed to fruit orchards that I am having difficulty with the branch not being attached to a tree. The space keeps drawing my attention.

Ann Louise: I really like what you’ve done here with subject, comp and capture. Don’t see a lot of fruit posted so this is a treat. Nicely conceived and superbly executed. >=))>

Lucky you to have edible and photo-worthy apricots. This is a nice botanical image and I like the soft lighting. Well done…Jim

@Jim_Gavin , @Bill_Fach , @Kris_Smith , @Jim_Zablotny : Thank you all for commenting on my apricot photo! As a native of Connecticut, I enjoy the novelty of having fruit trees in our yard here in California. The apricots grow attached to the stem in an interesting way and I hope to capture more of them next year. We have had lots of wind also, making it tempting to enjoy the stillness of a studio shot.

I really like your concept, composition and lighting. The diagonal positioning of the branch works well as does the dark background. On my computer the background wasn’t all completely black. It might be me, but I was bothered by the cut end of the branch was in the frame. I made a couple of slight adjustments, extended the end of the branch out of the frame and darkened the background to a uniform black. Well done.

1 Like

Don, Thank you for taking the time to critique my image. I like using a black background and have noticed myself it is hard to make the background solid black. I have tried cloning but probably miss some areas. I am curious to know how you achieved the uniform black. I do like the branch extending out of the frame. I apologize for a long delay in commenting …wonderful life event got in the way.