Just Off the Tree

My friend gave me a few lemons from her tree. She always includes some leaves knowing I will photograph the lemons. I just love the bright yellow fruit and have tried different ways to capture them. I pulled out an antique implement (I do not know what it is used for) and found the perfect set up.

Specific Feedback Requested

I am interested in any comments. Thank you.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Olympus OMD Mark II with Olympus 12-100 telephoto lens, 47mm, f/4.5, 1/5 sec. Taken on a table with one light set on a warm tone. Tripod.

1 Like

Wonderful!! I love the lighting and cradling it in that whatever-it-is was a great idea. I wonder if its for scooping eggs out of boiling water? Would be great for dying Easter eggs.

The long stem pulls my eye toward the top a bit – I wonder about the stem getting darker toward the top in a gentle gradient, but that’s a small suggestion for such a lovely image!.

1 Like

A very interesting and attractive composition. To my eyes the lemon is almost the colour of an orange. This adds to the interest. And I particularly like how you’ve angled the egg-dipper.

Woah this is terrific. I’d print it and hang it in my kitchen with the stem processed the way Diane suggests. The light is gorgeous and I love the way you’ve arranged the handle of the scooper thing with the stem - that angle is perfect. I also like the way the leaf and the handle shapes are repeating each other. Is there more texture in the lemon you could bring out?

Good idea from @Kris_Smith about the texture. With several lemons to play with, it would be fun to try some (or this one) at a more sensuous angle, with the stem angled a bit to the left – reclining, somewhat. The lighting here is very nice – maybe it could work to include more of the shadow and make it a bit more prominent. Lots of interesting things to try here!

To @Diane_Miller @Mike_Friel @Kris_Smith: Thank you all for these suggestions! I will definitely work on darkening the top of the stem and bring out the texture. Yes, the color of these lemons is wonderful…a darker yellow. Thanks for noticing the angle of the scooper, shadows and giving me more ideas on positioning the lemon. I have a lot of fun working with still life!

Hi Ann, this is a lovely composition, with the orangy lemon and green leaf against the black background. And what a perfect holder for it too, which adds some interest to this still life. I personally think the long stem helps to visually balance the holder.

@Jim_Lockhart : Jim, thanks so much for your observations and comments. It is great to have different views of the arrangement.