Promising pomegranate

I have been watching these two lovely pomegranates grow over the last several weeks. While they need more time to ripen, I love the colors and angles of these two fruits hanging separately from the tree.

Specific Feedback Requested

I am interested in any comments, particularly composition. The fruits were low to the ground so hard to capture a good background .

Technical Details

Olympus Mark II camera with 12-11 Olympus lens. ISO 200, 31mm, f/4, 1/1000 sec. Used a diffuser to tone down morning sun.

1 Like

A wonderful subject with very nice DOF and excellent use of the diffuser to give lovely soft light. I think the degree of soft focus (and soft light) on the BG is just right. I’m a little undecided about the one in the UL – do I want to see more of it, or have it not be there??

These are certainly subjects to watch for a future opportunity. I wonder if it’s possible to prop or tie up the branch to move them away from the ground so there is a more homogeneous BG?

1 Like

How cool, Ann Louise. Nice subject for sure. I tried something similar years ago when I was in NH and we had a quince bush in the yard. I agree with Diane’s assessment - the OOF fruit in the corner looks really undecided - it’s not super OOF, but neither is it sharp. It’s not totally cut off, but neither is it fully in frame. As an echoing element I like it, but would like to see some decision to include it or else reframe or crop it out. The diffused light is really nice. It helps model the fruit for a more 3D appearance. If it were mine I’d go around the edges removing bright bits - cloning them out or cloning color in to reduce their eye-grabbing. These are so cute. Do you eat them when they’re ripe?

@Diane_Miller , @Kris_Smith Thank you both for your helpful thoughts! The more I consider this image, I think I will try to lengthen the dark green background to include all of the lower fruit. I agree on the 3rd pomegranate. I may try for a more vertical look. These are precious and all harvested and make into pomegranate juice by my husband!

1 Like