Backlit Begonia

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Any pertinent technical details: Taken with Sony A6000, F6.3, 1/60 sec., ISO 100

Potted Plant in window with morning light.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

For me, Patricia, this falls just slightly short of your signature compositions, in that the strong whites of the background space obtrude a little. Otherwise, beautiful control of the petal tones and a nice sense of the flower floating like a cloud.

Thanks Ian for your honesty. It lets me know that when you praise you mean it. The part I liked most about the photo was the back lighting that made the petals translucent. Guess I let that over take the composition.

Pat, I like this a lot and am very intrigued with the lines, shapes, and back-lit opacity of the bloom. It doesn’t GRAB me like almost all of your other creations, though, and I’m not exactly sure why. Perhaps it’s that the darker areas are not as striking as the more translucent ones. Maybe increasing the opacity of the darker areas…??
Sandy

I like this a lot, Patricia. The subtle white on white shadings and the curves and layering of the petals are delightful. After reading Ian’s critique, and giving the image a long look, the two upper corners seemed to pull my eye a bit too much, so a touch less light in those areas might be called for.

I like this fine as an exercise in demonstrating back lighting and the importance of both light and shadow. Artistically, I think you got a lot out of a flower that is a little too formless to be photogenic. It may well be a different comp would be worth trying.

Patricia: This is certainly provoking a lot of thought and interesting comments. I think what Phil said echoes my own thoughts. I’ve never had a Begonia image I was pleased with so just don’t even try anymore so I salute what you did get. >=))>

I very much like the intricate curves and shapes. The backlight creates beautiful and subtle colour gradients. The yellow spot softly fading out is a real nice center. The overall picture is a bit busy, I have taken the liberty to make a serious crop as an attempt to simplify the image and accentuate the beautiful forms. I am curious what you think of it.