Bad hair day

This shot was taken from my row-boat on 6-22 at 7:20 Am on the Back River in old Lyme, Ct. I just manage to row by the Egret as the fog started to lift.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7DII, Sigma 150-600mm, F8, 388mm, ISO 400, 1/1250, hand held. I cropped the shot by 20% and bump up the exposure 1/4 stop & vibrancy by .25 in DxO PhotoLab.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

The heron does look awfully disheveled, Peter. In this case,I think it works well with the looking-away pose. Nicely done.

Egrets are among my favorite subjects. This one looks like he’s mad at the skier that just went by and sprayed water all over him. For me its a little flat, I know the fog just lifted but maybe a little color saturation would help. Just my 2¢.

1 Like

Hi Dennis & Kelly
Thank for the comments. I applied what DxO calls Clear View Plus, this removes fog (at a cost of adding some noise).
Peter

Just my opinion, but I prefer the first. For me, the fog fits the mood here.

It looks like this Egret is having a bad hair day! It’s a good capture with good composition, Peter. I also prefer the first version as the mood of the fog matches the condition of the Egret. The only thing I would suggest is to sharpen the large version a little more. It would bring out more of the feather details and will probably help a bit with the flat look that was mentioned.