Baltimore Oriole

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I have three different male Baltimore orioles visiting the nearby feeders. I woke up to cloudy skies with a threat of rain. The last rain was 3 weeks ago, so I can’t complain about and hope that it does rain soon. I could cloned out the small stick remnant over the back of the oriole, but left it in to see whether viewers are impacted by its presence.

Specific Feedback

Pretty dark this morning and F9 would have provided for an in focus tail. Pollen grains on the head of the oriole left in place. Would you clone out the tip of the stick?

Technical Details

Z9 600mm f4 (1/160 sec. at f7.1, ISO 2000, flash set at -1.7ev) Topaz DeNoise AI, crop for comp, Brightness & Contrast, rubber stamp tool used for part of oriole feeder that was left after the crop…Jim

3 Likes

Great look at the Oriole. The colors pop nicely against the background. I like the angle of the perch and the branch sticking out below gives the image some balance, though I would try to remove the bit of branch sticking out above the bird.

2 Likes

Nice detail and I like the little tilt to the head, Jim. The colors are wonderful.

1 Like

Beautiful color in the bird, enhanced by that nice, green bg. Excellent details. I would try to remove the stick protruding from the back of the bird if I could do it cleanly. Either way, it’s a terrific look at this Oriole. I’ve been trying to get a shot of an Oriole all Spring. They are so spooky.

1 Like

Another one that just won’t come down out of the treetops for me. Great pose and I love the X you’ve put together. I’d get rid of the stick in the back - I know what it is and why, but it just looks funny (it’s not a tumor!!).

1 Like

Wonderful in all respects!! But the tip of the stick needs to disappear.

We have Hooded and Bullocks, and the Acorn Woodpeckers have been chasing them away from the jelly feeder and now they are chasing the hummingbirds away from their feeder!!! After the Orioles have gone south I’m tempted to put out poison jelly.

1 Like

Hi Jim, love the colors of the bird against that green background and I find the perch interesting too. A real beauty and you have captured him quite well. I’d take out the branch nob sticking out of the back. Also if this were mine, I’d thinking cropping a tad on the left but that’s a nit. Well done image!

1 Like