First Oriole of the season

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Looked out by chance and saw this guy on the hummingbird feeder!! Put out the Oriole feeder and the camera and sat as quietly as I could in a chilly breeze until I got a picture or two. Time to put up the blind, but it might blow away.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!! Stalking birds hardly ever works for me. Easier to see what I can get (and arrange to get) at feeders.

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-04-02 at 8.00.37 PM

Very minor tonal tweaks in LR. Into PS to soften a brighter patch above his back, and about a 50% crop. Touch of vibrance. Low clouds with some soft light peeking through.

1 Like

I’d say this works all the way around; no nits here. Very attractive perch and pleasing background. Beautiful bird, showing excellent detail. What’s an Oriole feeder? The Bullock’s Oriole is local, but have never seen one in the yard.

That’s a beautiful bird and very well captured. The lighting and details are excellent. I like the pose on the curvy branch. The background works very well too! Nicely done! (I wish there territory included where I live. Sigh!)

Wonderful image, Diane…Excellent detail and colors too… :+1:
Yep, we’ve had male & female eating out of my hummingbird feeders for a week or so now also. Although they seem larger then this one you’ve photographed here.
They must think it’s spring… :sunglasses:

Oh what a beauty. That color is so wonderful - like apricots. Our orioles are very far away right now. Maybe in a few weeks they will be back. They never come down to visit though, only staying way up in the tallest trees. Their song comes down to us though, so there is that.

Ah, what a beauty - and beautifully captured. Nice details, pleasing bg, and an attractive perch. Fun for you! We get Baltimore and Orchard Orioles here, which always arrive on or within a day or two either way of tax day, as do the hummingbirds. I have little luck stalking birds, either, and Orioles are spooky. Any shots I manage to get usually come from my blind next to the feeders. Good luck!

Thanks, @Allen_Brooks, @Steve_Kennedy, @Paul_Breitkreuz, @Kris_Smith and @terryb! With a little luck on my part, you’ll get tired of these guys before long. We may FINALLY be done with rain, with 50-75% above normal and record snowpack in the Sierra.

Allen, there are a variety of Oriole feeders, but the simplest is to drive a nail through a board and spear a half orange on it. Or put out a dish of grape jelly. No kidding – they love it! Not jam, just the cheap yuccy grape jelly of our childhoods. (How did we ever survive our childhood diets?) Oranges are one of their natural foods when they winter in Mexico, so our neighbor thought they might love a nice orange marmalade over the grape junk, and put out both for comparison. They wouldn’t touch the marmalade but gobbled up the grape.

Our Acorn Woodpeckers love it, too, and they are larger and more aggressive. I need to lean how to use a pea shooter.

4 Likes

Diane, this is “picture perfect” in my opinion. The bird is beautiful, and then you have him on a really neat perch, with a nice BG. Super nice!

Hi Diane, a real beauty - a gorgeous subject and that curvy perch with great BG really sets him off.

This is a swell shot of the male bullock’s. I wouldn’t change a thing. I read they are starting to show up around here now too. I swear, they look like something you’d buy in an exotic pet store. Can’t wait to see one (especially a male).

Thanks, @Shirley_Freeman, @Allen_Sparks and @Dave_Douglass! It’s severe clear today (and severe windy) so I won’t be bothering them today except to refill feeders. Just when I have some use for clouds and they go away… I’m hoping for a good population this year. Haven’t seen Hooded yet but there are usually more of them than the Bullocks.

1 Like

I saw this photo the other day and did not offer any critiques at the time due to me being motivated to get out and set up the oriole feeders. The image is sharp and this guy is one sharp looking dude. Composition is simple and bird is placed perfectly in the frame. BG, perch, and subject go well together. Whites are getting close to losing detail, but have enough there. Well done…Jim

@Jim_Zablotny, excellent excuse!! I can’t wait to see your gorgeous results! The sun was just starting to peek out from behind a cloud when I got this and the whites were perilously close to blown if I kept the midtone exposure out of the mud in LR. Had to resort to a linear profile, which was barely enough.

1 Like