Orioles are back!

This Hooded Oriole has discovered my feeders, and I saw a Bullocks the other day. They winter in Mexico but breed up here. Last year was the first year I had seen more than an occasional one. I’m hoping for some good opportunities this year. The soft light was a bonus, with a rare cloudy day. We will have some clouds and even a little rain for the next few days so I’m hoping for more good opportunities.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

Canon R5, 1000mm, f/14, ISO 1600, 1/160 sec, sturdy tripod and head. Minimal tonal adjustments in LR, into PS for NR (not noticeable at this size) and a little cleanup on the beak. Cropped on both sides from a horizontal.

2 Likes

Oh! You’re giving the Rainbows a run for their money! I don’t think I’ve ever seen this bird.

Gorgeous colours on the bird as well as the background. My favourite over-the-shoulder pose that shows off the wing patterns.

I’m not able to view this at the enlarged size?

Oh what a beauty! We only have Baltimores here so far as I know so I love seeing another species. Terrific pose, but yeah, wish the larger version would load.

Stunning, @Diane_Miller. I also, love the pose, as if he is saying “this is my good side!” We had Orioles for the first time last year and I’m hoping they will return again this year. They are so very striking. Great capture.

A beautiful pose of a beautiful bird. We don’t get Hooded Orioles here in Oklahoma, but the Baltimore and Orchard Orioles should be showing up here in the next week, or so.

I like the pose and overall composition. You certainly have a nice background for these shots. Wish we had these birds up in the northwest. They say we have Bullock’s, but I’ve yet to see one.

Thanks @glennie, @Kris_Smith, @linda_mellor, @terryb and @Allen_Brooks. I’ve reposted the image and now it will enlarge. Click twice to see the full uploaded res, which is about half the res of the capture.

They are readily attracted to orange halves and, of all things, grape jelly! I was hesitant about putting out the jelly but it seems to be an accepted way to attract them, just for enjoyment as well as photography. Mine will ignore orange halves but love the jelly. The Acorn Woodpeckers discovered it too, and compete with the Orioles for it. (They compete with everybody for everything.)

We’re seeing a few Black-headed Grosbeaks, too. They seem to migrate with the Orioles. They prefer the seed feeders.

2 Likes

What a wonderful look at a beautiful bird, such beautiful crisp details and a great look.

Hi Diane
What can I say, this is a great photograph.
Peter