The Oriole Days of Summer

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Our grape jelly feeders have been full of Baltimore orioles and I counted 6 orioles sharing 2 feeders yesterday. Most are first of year birds and lack the more brilliant coloration of breeding adults. I caught this one in the process of taking off to dive into one of the feeders.

Technical Details

Z9 600mm f4 (1/5000 sec at f8.0, ISO 3200) Topaz DeNoise AI, Levels, Shadows and Highlights, Curve adjustment for contrast, Desaturation of BG, Crop for comp, and Rubber stamp tool to remove part of feeder that was in frame.

3 Likes

What’s not to like, here? Great detail in the bird, interesting behavior, a nice background, and a decent perch. I’ve never used the rubber stamp tool; I’ll need to look into its’ function. Well done.

1 Like

Beautiful, Jim, and amazingly good timing. I really like the composition and the detail is excellent. Just a great image.

1 Like

Perfect timing, Jim. My shots like it are usually just the BG! Well done.

1 Like

Really nice Jim. Good details on the bird and a pleasing BG. I like the diagonal perch also. The pose you caught is great. Well done.

1 Like

Oh man what a catch! Light as air and so amazing in shape and flight feather dynamics. Just the tippy bits of claws still on the branch - what a touch. Totally the art of nature with this one. Great positioning on your part in terms of where you put the camera for this display. That is a bird on a mission!

1 Like

Great capture here to get the detail in the head and body and the slight movement of the wings. The colours are very nice too.

1 Like

How did I miss this one earlier?? I’m so glad it got an EP because I might not have seen it otherwise, and because it so deserves it!! Gorgeous light, pose, detail… everything!!

1 Like

a really nice look at this bird in flight. At first I thought it was a female goldfinch but realize that the beaks are quite different.

1 Like