Baltimore Oriole Waiting for an Opening at the Jelly Feeder

Image:

Description: I am starting to work well with the Z9 and can appreciate the eye detection in the autofocus algorithm. I posted this one in the Human and Fauna category because the beak has a nice coating of grape jelly. Otherwise, please feel free to move it to the Avian Critique class if necessary.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Z9 600mm f4 + 2.0 teleconverter(1/640 sec at f11, ISO 2500, fill flash -1.7ev) Topaz DeNoise Ai, Brightness & Contrast, Full Frame…Jim

1 Like

Hi @Jim_Zablotny. I did move this to the Avian Critique section. There are no rules that would indicate otherwise.

A fine Avian image. The backside pose with the nice head turn to show off a lot of the plumage is very nice. The small branch is really nice and in nice proportion to the bird. Lovely OOF background. If there’s anything I’d change it would be to have more room on the bottom of the frame, and less on the top.

1 Like

A good look at this Baltimore Oriole. I like the composition although Keith has a good point about lowering the top and dropping the bottom. The detail, color balance, head turn are all well done.

1 Like

Hi Jim
It took some effort to determine the flash angle. very good work. The eye contact and feather detail really make this photograph.
Peter

1 Like

Wonderful detail, great pose and soft light! I agree on the crop. Maybe squeak up the exposure a bit?

1 Like

Excellent job on this juvenile, Jim. That tiny bit of grape jelly certainly didn’t justify putting it in Human and Fauna, especially since I can’t even tell what it is from the image.

1 Like

Jim, a fine portrait of this youngster with excellent details. I wouldn’t have noticed the jelly on my own.

1 Like

Oh Jim, what a beauty. Wonderful details and that BG just makes him pop. Well done.

1 Like