Bark

Inspired by the excellent presentation on slow photography given by @Jennifer_Renwick a few days ago, and especially her mud pattern images, here is uploaded a bark pattern image.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

That tree bark makes for as interesting a subject as any Death Valley mud crack would. The colors and textures are simply wild. Great idea to create an abstract from this tree bark.

While I like the concept of the image, I think it has technical issues with depth of field that hold the image back. The right side is too out of focus, I assume because the curve of the tree would not let you get all of the trunk parallel with the camera sensor. For a pattern shot like this with strong texture, everything needs to be sharp. Perhaps using a higher aperture, or more likely, focus stacking, would have been the way to go to get everything sharp. Hopefully you can revisit this tree and try again, it has amazing potential.

I concur with @Ed_McGuirk 's take on your image. Very imaginative, but it would benefit from more DOF, either stopped down more or focus stacked. Very enjoyable colors and patterns.

Ola,

I’m really enjoying the colors, patterns and overall natural abstractness of this image.

I agree about the DOF and suspect you weren’t quite perpendicular (ie, rounded trunk fell away from you and possibly you were shooting at an upwards angle? (bottom softer than top). These are simply technical issues resolved with smaller aperture, focus stack, etc. as others have commented.

Aside from that, my first impression was that I was thinking this might work even better flipped vertically? I’m not sure it would work though given the shadow of the dark ridge… but still, it feels like it would work flipped. Just a thought.

Processing, colors, etc. all look good. A terrific abstract extracted from the bigger picture.

Lon

@Ed_McGuirk, @Harley_Goldman and @Lon_Overacker thank you for your kind comments and good advise. Have to be more careful with the focus and DOF next time! Lon, I tried to flip the image, but my feeling where that the light didn´t feel correct and that you expect the longitudinal direction of the bark shape to be vertical.