Distortion

I love the twisted patterns that can be found in the tree bark. This one looks like an alien face to me.

Type of Critique Requested

• Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I was memorized by the patterns and smooth texture of this large tree root heaving up from the ground.

Technical Details

Canon EOS R
1/2 Sec, @ f 8
200mm, ISO 100

Some dodging and burning in Lightroom.

3 Likes

The patterns are quite intriguing. The three prominent swirls have a pleasing feel about them in terms of their spatial relationship and how you composed the image. My mind goes toward galaxies, but I imagine one could see many different things in this image.

Hi Todd,
that tree bark looks really interesting. I love the structures.

The patterns somehow remind me of the painting by Edward Munch.

I wonder how the image would look like if you had used a polarizer filter. The reflections on the left and the right side distract a little bit from the awesome structures in the center.

It’s a great shot. Well done!

Hi Todd, the resemblance of a twisted face is what immediately stood out to me. I think you have succeeded on the concept. Technically, nothing wrong the image. It has good framing and exposure. Someone above mentioned using a CPL to bring down the glare on the bark. I think that would have helped a bit so the eye could focus on the center of the frame. Regardless, fantastic find and image!

Way cool!! Definitely evocative of Muench. I love the composition and colors, but can’t decide about the highlights – a bit of polarization might be more pleasing, for me, but I wonder if pulling down highlights might give a similar effect. Just an idea to compare, if you haven’t already.

Todd,

Wow, what a fascinating - and creepy - find. I mean that in a nice way… :slight_smile: Very cool as I too see a twisted, creepy looking face. Love the rich colors too.

Regarding the highlights and possible CPL use - I kinda like the highlights - call it “rim light” or something like that. The highlights also frame or separate the main face with the rest of the log. So I think it works quite nicely as presented.

Lon

1 Like

Nice! You see an alien face and I see Edvard Munch’s “The Scream”. I love the beautiful and rich colours. Very well done and seen!

Hi Todd, I immediately thought of “The Scream” myself (nature imitating art?). Nice find and beautifully captured. Enjoying the warm, “woody” colors and texture. A beautiful frame for an other-worldly image.

I agree. The Scream comes to mind.

In my opinion this looks a bit over sharpened. It that is natural then I may reduce the clarity or texture to smooth out the edges a bit. Not sure.

I may try to move the color cast just a touch towards to green to see how that affects the overall impact.