Barred Owl at Sunrise

I was lucky enough to follow a family of barred owls as they raised owlets over multiple summers. I was even luckier that they hunted over a swamp that allowed me to be near eye level with them while on a road bisecting the swamp. This is one of the adults on the lookout for crawfish.

In post, I sharpened the bird, reduced noise on the BG, reduced a blue color cast, and cloned out a couple small twigs near the bird’s head. All C&C welcome.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3s
700mm, beanbag
1/160
f/5.6
ISO 3200

@lylegrubyphotography
2 Likes

Very nice, Lyle. I really like the composition and the owl looks good. Most of the brighter areas of the background don’t bother me, but there’s one bright yellow circle above and slightly to the right of the owl (where the twig forks) that really draws my eye. Well done.

Lovely lush setting for this owl ! The owl looks a little waisted, maybe it had a heave night of hunting :wink: … Nice work ! Cheers, Hans

Effective composition with the owl framed by the tree. Good job on the detail, colors, and exposure.

What a wonderful opportunity – well captured!

Very eye pleasing, Lyle. Good comp and details, and a nice bg with the exception of a bright spot, or two.