Barred Owl take-off

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Shot this a couple years ago at a local NWR. Owl is wild–neither baited nor called. I uploaded a large file. Might need to click on it twice to see the full resolution version.

Techs:
D500
500mm f/4 AF-S II
F/5
1/1600
ISO 5000

All feedback welcome.

This is really a nice catch! The owl is sharp and great action.
The BG is pretty distracting, though - it might be possible to at least remove/soften the dark BG branches. I’d also remove part of the branch that intersects the left wing.

Very good, Lyle. I’ve accidentally spooked a few of these over the years during the day, but never had a camera at the ready. Nor are my reflexes this good! Excellent detail and I like the out of focus background as well.

Nice and sharp and the whites are still pretty good as well.

Oh wow, nice, Lyle. I am still waiting for the day when one will pose in front of my lens! Great detail in the subject.

A nice takeoff, I wish the owl was looking at you.

Nice takeoff capture. Consider darkening the highlights in the background and adding a catchlight to the eye?

Superb timing on this. I think you did a really good job with the exposure and the sharpness with the coexisting wing blur. I might consider darkening the area of sky just above the V of the wings.

Nice action capture of this owl, Lyle! The exposure is just right with lots of good detail in the plumage which is actually surprising given the ISO-5000 setting. I personally like wildlife shots with contextual environment so the background doesn’t bother me at all.