Bass Fisher

A Great Blue Heron with his breakfast.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

1/200 @ f/8.0 ISO 800, Canon 7dMII, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS II USM + 1.4x III @ 560 mm. Cropped to about 50%, brightened, some sticks, etc. removed and noise reduction.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

PatrickThompson2080

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Very nice capture here, Patrick. The exposure is spot on here. I love the BG, too. However, I am not too happy about that stump that’s covering its feet. Do you have a sequence where the heron has moved after the stump or before it? The heron is a little too blue for me, I would probably warm it up a touch, too.

Nice detail in the heron, Patrick and the exposure looks excellent. My feelings about the image echo Adhika’s in terms of the nice background and the stump being a bit of a drawback. While the heron is a trifle blue, it fits the lighting reasonably well. You might pare a bit off the top to reduce the effect of the patch of relatively bright foliage over the heron’s head.

A very nice image.

Always great to have a bird with prey. I can only agree with Adhika and Dennis on the stump. Other than that fine as presented. Cheers, Hans

Adhika, Dennis and Hans,

Thanks for your input.

I agree the stump is unfortunate. I was shooting at a low shutter speed and trying to hold my ISO down since the bird was in the shadows and this was just the sharpest image in that sequence.

I will try your other suggestions.